Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Day #6 Winslow, AZ to Gallup, NM




"Well, I'm a standing on a corner In Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight
to see It's a....."
Well today we had weather for our NY and NJ riders, we awoke to a crisp 32 degrees. The first group(Pat, Rob, Dennis and Kevin) headed out about 6:45am. The roadside on Interstate 40 was pretty good. We had a slight headwind and very gradual uphills. Pat got a flat tire right near the end of his ride.
The second group (Craig, Fred, Moose and SB) had to wait a few minutes for SB to recover before heading out. When SB put on his Chamois Cream, which was stored outside in the 32 degree cold, he apparently suffered "Brain Freeze" and it took him some time to recover. Off they rode on the never ending gradual incline. It warmed to about 65 degrees. They went up to about 5000 ft elevation before turning over to the last group.
The last group today (Bruce, Nancy, Tony and Dawn) started off in the hot, 73 degrees sun. Off towards New Mexico they headed, hitting several good hills along the way. Up past 6000 ft elevation they went, moving at a nice clip. We all stopped at the New Mexico border to take a picture in front of the sign. Dawn got a flat tire just into New Mexico and changed it quickly. As they rode into Gallup, NM is was 75 degrees. Now that's a temp change. Running total of flat tires is 15.











10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruce & Nancy, I am so Jealous. You guys look like you are having fun and doing great. Ride safe.

Larry Goodman -L.A.

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

johnny b(NJ) You guys are doing great. Rob you are pushing me harder to be better this year in our ride to DC. I wish you guys the best and good luck.

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys
Once again I am amazed at your energy and determination, I couldn't do it. Glad to see from reading the site that you are all doing ok. Looking forward to catching up with you when you finally get in to Washington after Julie and I have had a holiday on the way via New York and Long Island. Good luck for the rest of the journey.
Regards
Dee (Craig's cousin from London)

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Dennis:

Can't wait to see you at Ground Zero.

Scott

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weather looks great! The Country side in the pictures looks breath taking, but seeing Rob in those riding pants, YIKES! Is there a chance you can find any place that sells men's clothes to try and help out Rob's wardrobe?
I'm checking the site regurlarly to keep up with Y'alls progress. Keep up the GREAT effort.

Kevin.....aka... BIG BOY!

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad...i was in new mexico 10 yrs ago on this date...weird..hope you are having fun and taking pics. miss you love you. tschuss.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dennis,

Ya know, I always thought I got my "clutziness" from Mom - but after the spill and the "hot pants" episode, I'm beginning to doubt that...

I love the photos and I'm glad to see that everyone is fairing well - I just hope you guys can have fewer flats in the future!

And Dad, as you can see, I'm doing well enought to type - I even did some good old "woman's work" today like laundry! So I'm well on my way to recovery and should be back to my old self before you get home.

Jenny

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad, Mr. Officer White,
Looks like you guys are having way too much fun out there! Jorge will be excited to see that you guys took a picture by the New Mexico sign. That's the state he studied...I can't wait to share the pictures with all the kids on Monday! Love you!
P.S. Did you by chance stop in Amequerque?

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob: It was nice speaking with you. I just got done lecturing ine Delaware with a few of the guys. Pretty emotional, but a lot of fun. I asked the MAAWLE participants to put you all in their prayers. I am very proud of you, and all who are pedaling with you. Stay Safe.
Steph

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi nancy and bruce, this is connie from holiday inn express in albuquerque nm. i am checking to see if the bike u were given here made it safely to the school. hope the ride is going good. thank you again for riding for the officers we have all lost, it means alot to me and some of my class mates at university of phoenix(abq). i told my team mates i had met some of the group and they said to tell u thank u and god bless u all. sincerely,connie

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home